Langman's Medical Embryology, 13th Edition
Offering exceptional full color diagrams and clinical images, Langman's Medical Embryology, 13e helps medical, nursing, and health professions students develop a basic understanding of embryology and its clinical relevance.
Offering exceptional full color diagrams and clinical images, Langman's Medical Embryology, 13e helps medical, nursing, and health professions students develop a basic understanding of embryology and its clinical relevance. Concise chapter summaries, captivating clinical correlates boxes, clinical problems, and a clear, concise writing style.
The new edition is enhanced by over 100 new and updated illustrations, additional clinical images and photos of early embryologic development, and an expanded chapter on the cardiovascular system. In addition, online teaching and learning resources include the fully searchable text online, as well as an interactive Quiz Bank for students and an image bank.
- Clinical Correlates boxes illustrated by cases and images cover birth defects, developmental abnormalities, and other clinical phenomena.
- More than 400 illustrations—including full-color line drawings, scanning electron micrographs, and clinical images—clarify key aspects of embryonic development .
- Basic genetic molecular biology principles are highlighted throughout the text to link embryology to other critical specialties.
- Chapter Overview figures provide a visually compelling introduction to each chapter.
- Problems to Solve (with detailed answers at the back of the book) help you assess your understanding.
- An expanded glossary defines key terms and concepts.
- An online interactive USMLE-style Question Bank helps you review for exams and prepare for the Boards.
Part 1: General Embryology
Introduction to Molecular Regulation and Signaling
Gametogenesis: Conversion of Germ Cells into Male and Female Gametes
First Week of Development: Ovulation to Implantation
Second Week of Development: Bilaminar Germ Disc
Third Week of Development: Trilaminar Germ Disc
Third to Eight Weeks: The Embryonic Period
The Gut Tube and the Body Cavities
Third Month to Birth: The Fetus and Placenta
Birth Defects and Prenatal Diagnosis
Part 2: Systems-Based Embryology
The Axial Skeleton
Head and Neck
Central Nervous System
Part 3: Appendix
Answers to Problems
Glossary of Key Terms